Often people who are visiting Kampuchea House ask what items they can bring with them. Recent experiences have shown that items of clothing and shoes bought by visitors do not match with the ages of our children as some of them are smaller sized for their ages in comparison to Western children of the same age. As a result we have decided to offer visitors the option of our local staff purchasing clothing, shoes and other items in Cambodia which ensures the correct sizes for our children. You advise us of your budget and our staff will buy goods to that value and you reimburse them on your visit. We will have the goods ready for you to take out to the children when you visit. (Another benefit is that we are supporting the local economy).
Our requirements vary from time to time however below is a list of items that we need on an on-going basis and can be purchased in Siem Reap.
- Clothing (including underwear) and shoes for all the children.
- Exercise books for school work – please note these books are different to western style books and need to be purchased from a supplier in Siem Reap.
The items below can be purchased in Siem Reap or can be brought with you.
- General medical supplies – band aids; Elastoplast plasters, bandages and tape.
- Combs/brushes for hair. Hair clips. Nail polish.
- Deodorant for teenage girls/boys.
- Tooth brushes and toothpaste.
- Biros – good quality red and blue (no black)
- Rulers; correction pens; small compasses; sharpeners and erasers; coloured pencils; black pencils; crayons; textas.
The following items are not available in Cambodia, or the quality is very poor, so you are welcome to bring these with you.
- Puzzle games/books and jigsaw puzzles.
Please do NOT bring playing cards or dice – gambling is a serious issue in Cambodia and card games and dice often lead to a gambling problem.
(Please contact Belinda (email@example.com) if you have any queries regarding the above suggestions).
Alternatively donating cash to buy rice, fresh fruit and UHT milk when in Siem Reap is also very much appreciated. (Once again we can arrange for the purchase of these items for you). We are discouraging sweets due to the poor quality of the childrens’ teeth.